The other day while passing time scrolling through some social media feed, I came across this link to “The 15 Best Bread Recipes You Can Cook in a Cast Iron Skillet.” Kind of a long title, but I clicked on the link anyway and discovered that I’d love to try a lot of these recipes. So, I made the first one on the list that very day. It was the perfect accompaniment to our “clean out the pantry and fridge” bean soup, and also a way to use some fresh rosemary. (For the record, the plant on the windowsill is still alive; I’m amazed each day that I haven’t killed it yet.)
I didn’t think Wayne was a fan of focaccia, but he liked this, and even said it was restaurant quality, which is high praise.
Rosemary Garlic Focaccia
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 1 3/4 cup flour divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves minced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Heat the water for just 10 seconds in the microwave, then stir in the sugar and yeast and let proof for a few minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 the olive oil (2 tablespoons), 1 cup of the flour, the salt, cheese and halve the rosemary. Mix until smooth, then knead in the remaining flour. Carefully form into a flat ball and place in a greased iron skillet.
- Cover the pan with a towel and place in a warm oven (preheat to 200° then turn off) and let rise for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and preheat it to 400°. Combine the remaining olive oil and rosemary with the garlic and brush over the top of the dough. Make the classic indentations with your finger if so desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with more olive oil and salt for dipping.
Internet articles have been known to disappear without warning, and it’s going to take me a while to make my way through the list, so I’m recording the recipe links here. Hopefully, the individual recipes won’t vanish before I have a chance to try them!
- One Hour Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- Whole Wheat Skillet Bread
- Irish Soda Bread
- Cast Iron Garlic Naan
- Rosemary Parmesan Bread
- Herb Skillet Rolls
- Skillet Olive Bread
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Cheddar Bacon Beer Bread
- Roasted Red Pepper and Feta Skillet Scones
- Warm Skillet Bread with Dip
- Cast Iron Pita Bread
- Skillet Banana Nut Bread
- Roasted Garlic Skillet Bread
- Maple Oat Skillet Bread