We knew we’d love this bread on the Skillet Bread List, because we love cheddar and bacon and bread! We don’t love (or even drink) beer, though, so I substituted a combination of club soda and chicken broth for that ingredient, and the bread turned out just great. It was the perfect accompaniment for soup, and the leftovers went well with scrambled eggs for breakfast.
Cheddar Bacon Skillet Bread
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups club soda or chicken broth or combination
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons green onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Cook bacon pieces in iron skillet until crispy. Remove bacon, but leave some grease in the pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl.
- Gently stir in club soda/chicken broth just until mixed.
- Fold in bacon pieces, cheese and green onions.
- Spread batter in skillet and drizzle butter on top.
- Bake in preheated 375° oven for 50-55 minutes, until top is golden. Cool slightly, but serve warm.